What’s with the moustache?
On my Mission Monday blogs I’ll be taking time to highlight some amazing organizations we’re working with in the cancer community. Today is one of those days and this organization is like no other and today is the beginning of their special month – Movember.
What’s with the moustache? This is a common question I’m going to get over the next month so I wanted to tell the story and hopefully you’ll join me!
In August of 2009, I had the pleasure of meeting Adam Garone in Dublin, Ireland at the LIVESTRONG Global Cancer Summit. Adam is a great guy with a very cool Austrailan accent. But what made him really stick out and engage my interest was his 80’s stylish moustache – or as he and the Aussies would call it his “Mo”. Meeting Adam and his organization Movember has changed the course of my Novembers for many years to come. Adam has become a good friend over the past year and huge supporter of the young adult cancer issue but most importantly, he’s the one responsible for the awesome (or as my wife would call it – hideous) moustache you’re about to see growing on my face over the next month.
Adam is the CEO of an organization called Movember. Movember has a very simple yet effective strategy – grow a mustache (or Mo) during the month of November and help change the face of men’s health. Money raised through Movember in the United States benefits the work of LIVESTRONG and their young adult programs. The UCF utilizes several of these LIVESTRONG programs to help young adults and families in our community and at the University of Maryland Greenebaum Cancer Center. These programs include:
• Fertile Hope, an initiative dedicated to providing reproductive information, support and hope to cancer patients and survivors whose medical treatments present the risk of infertility.
• Planet Cancer, an online community of peer support that allows young adults to find and communicate with other young adults whose lives have been affected by cancer.
By bringing back the ‘stache on people like you and me, we create a movement of Mo Brothers and Mo Sistas walking the streets during Movember talking about why we’re growing our Mo’s! It’s genius and doesn’t require any training like Team Fight or Half Full – just a little grooming.
Here are the Movember rules:
1) Register to join our team and you must begin November 1 clean shaven
2) For the entire month of Movember each Mo Bro must grow and groom a moustache
3) There is to be no joining of the Mo to your side burns (that’s considered a beard)
4) There is to be no joining of the handlebars to your chin (that’s considered a goatee)
5) Each Mo Bro must conduct himself like that of a true gentleman
So, for anyone out there that wants to join in on the fun, has dreamed of having a reason to bring back the moustache or just wants to support a great cause and help fund the amazing programs we use to support young adults in our community, join us!
Learn more about Movember.
Join the UCF Movember team.
I’ll be sure to keep you updated with pictures of my growth throughout the month.